Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Yesterday was a sad day for my childhood...


So Yesterday the Space Shuttle Discovery made its last flight from Florida on the back of a special 747 to Washington DC.  Where it will forever rest in the Smithsonian for everyone to see up close and personal. I watched on TV while I was at work yesterday as it made all it's low flying passes over Florida and Washington wishing I was there.  What a breathtaking thing to see.  I can remember when I was young watching all the space flights and keeping up with the cool NASA things I could get my hands on.  Yes I had the typical I want to be an astronaut childhood fantasy.  

With this shuttle being put to rest in a museum it is a humbling thing to watch and end to an era.  I guess they say all good things must come to and end but don't fret though as NASA exits the orbital business and turns it attentions to what it does best (Making rockets to take us to Mars.)  Now enters the first corporate space flights to begin taking over the long tradition that these space shuttles have done over the years.  I company called spaceX will begin sending rockets up to the International Space Station to bring supplies and hopefully by 2018 them and other companies hope to be able to be sending astronauts up on commercial rockets themselves.

But still in a way its sad to see this shuttle go...

No comments:

Post a Comment