Friday, April 20, 2012

Let's face it Macs are not as safe as they use to be.

Apple loves to boast about how much safer and secure that it is than any other operating systems.  The truth is yes in some ways it is but it has also lived and enjoyed the life of a small percentage of the computers used.  This has let them fly low on the radar for hackers simply target Windows because there are many many more users which gives them better chances.  But with Apple more and more in the spotlight and there Mac sales on the increase it is becoming more appealing for hackers to want to target Macs.   Also oh look barely any of them at all have Antivirus software even easier.  But why should they?  Macs have enjoyed being pretty much virus free for the most part but lately you here more and more malware and trojans for the Mac and they spread pretty quickly because there is not much stopping them before those exploits they use are patched up.

So yes I am saying it.   Sigh and true be known I always hoped I never had to but yesterday I put an antivirus program on to my iMac.  Even though I am definitely not one to click on strange emails or go to shady websites the truth is you just never know these days.  So which did I choose?  I went with Sophos antivirus.  First it is free and second it has been around for a while.  It seemed to get a lot of good reviews and to be honest I have not noticed a single intrusion into my screen or any of my normal computing tasks.  It just sits there doing what it does best and doesn't bug me every two seconds with a notification if I want something to do this or that (thats what OSX has security stuff built in for that.)

Basically the point is ladies and gentleman it is time to put up some caution and us Mac users must finally come to some terms to protect ourselves.  That is until Apple comes up with a super patch to make it impenetrable!  HAHA

No comments:

Post a Comment