Friday, April 27, 2012

I sense a great disturbance in the force!

Can I tell you how excited I was about this game?  You have no idea how Geeked out I was for a chance to get to play this game.  So much so I even went out and bought a decent windows laptop to play it on (GASP!)  I literally followed every fan site every beta testers slightest little tale of how awesome this game was.  So when it was released yes, I was there on day one already in a guild and ready to kick butt with my Sith Inquisitor and everything was great in the world.  Well so I thought, as I had feared EA had pushed so hard for a holiday launch that there were as with most games these days a lot of hick ups that hadn't been worked out.  I could play the game but at 5 fps (frames per second) it was pretty miserable.  I contacted a GM (Game Manager) right away and then another and another.  Finally one made sense and asked for a few files from my computer and that they were going to forward it on to the next level of GM service.  Meanwhile as I waited I scoured the forums and found a really stupid answer.  If I put all my settings to high I could actually play the game at 16 fps.  Which isn't great but at least it didn't make my eyes hurt like I was watching a flip chart cartoon.  So now I was off into leveling land and everything again was decent.   I leveled with friends did a few flash points and was totally amazed with the story that it seemed as if I was the only one that was having this experience.
The servers were full the game seemed like it was a great success but then it happened.  Level cap and boy did it hit strong.  See this game is based so much on the experience of the story that when you hit level cap the main story line was over.  Back to the typical mundane MMO experience you go and sadly this is another part of the game that had been rushed.  The end game content was basically so finite you could say it was none existent.  No granted it seems they are rolling out updates as fast as they can.  Something still just didn't sit right with me and my love for the game quickly ended out of boredom.  So after one free month and one paid month of gameplay I canceled my subscription.

Well it would seem that I was not alone more and more of my online buddies seemed to not be venturing into the game lately.  Talking with one the just the other day I was told that the game state is in trouble and that they need to do something soon or it would fall apart.  I asked what they meant because as far as all the PR is concerned the game was going well (no WOW killer, but good.)  What I was told was that the server I was on (the busiest when I was playing) seemed to have fewer and fewer people playing.  Also with the primitive form of group forming tools the game was not as fun because you couldn't find people to do group activities such as flash points and raids with.   Him and his guild buddies were even talking in game about how Bioware really needed to do something or they feared the game would be headed into a steep decline quickly.

Now I hope this was all pure speculation on my friends part but as I stated the game after you hit level cap just becomes another MMO.  Bioware really needs to focus and reinvent what endgame really is in this story based game of theirs and if they do they will start seeing a lot of more people coming back and playing the game for the first time.  Also, Bioware make this game work on a Mac. PS, Next time you get a comment about what you were going to do about the problems people were having at the start of the game don't say something stupid like most people aren't playing on low end PC's so we don't see this as an issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment