Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Are you addicted to technology?

So this question came to me yesterday after a really good friend of mine asked me to talk himself out of purchasing an impulse buy.  Ok let me start this off with a little background.  I am writing a blog about Tech so as you can imagine someone asking a technophile such as myself to talk them out of buying a shiny new gadget is like asking a meth addict to stop making free meth.  Yeah bad analogy but you get the point.  As I was helping my friend I decided the best thing I could do is do a little research about it and tell him the cons of buying it.  In doing so I became interested in it as well.  So yeah that was not a good idea but luckily this thing involved doing exercise more, so it wasn't that hard for me to lose interest in it.  haha.  Which brings me to this point of asking, are you addicted to technology.


My answer is a resownding YES.  For example the other day I found myself thinking very hard that I would love to have an iPad and it would be the greatest thing ever if I had one.  Sounds typical right?  Well except for the fact that last month I won an Amazon Kindle Fire.  Which is an amazing tablet in itself and does everything that I would need for it to do.  But before that during Christmas I received a Vizio tablet on the cheap.  I also own an iPhone 4, a 21" iMac, a PS3, and an older windows notebook.  Now see where the addiction is coming in?  HAHA  Now try and rationalize an iPad purchase with all of these other pieces of technology that I own.  Yeah doesn't hold water in any argument for getting an iPad.  I still want one.  The thing keeping me from it now is the price tag and the thought that there are much more important things and useful things that I could do with that money.  Let alone save the money.

I guess one can say this all comes down to marketing and society pushing us to buy things.  Regardless of the cause though, I still love technology and I probably always will have an extreme fascination with it.  Google Glasses anyone?  The point to take away here is a simple one.  Keep loving technology if you are a geek like me, but remember to take it in moderation and only get things you will use and have a need.  If it helps make a list of pro's and con's.  It helps me sometimes...  I also would suggest making a list of things you want and things you need.  This could always help you realize what should take priority.  

No comments:

Post a Comment